Saturday, January 15, 2011

Bonobo - Sugar Rhyme


I have been on this trip hop/neo soul/neo jazz/chillwave vibe lately that I get on from time to time. I think this time around one of the things that sparked it was when I was going through old mixtapes recently I found a mixtape I had done of all Bonobo's music about 7 years ago. It reminded me how music becomes more and more magical the more you listen to different kinds. You can find an old record in your collection or at a thrift store or hear a track on the street or on youtube and all of a sudden your mind accesses a flood of music in the same vein as said find. It's like storage sheds of music are in your mind and sometimes you will find a rusty key to that allows you back inside certain doors. This track from one of those storage sheds brings the past alive by sampling Billy Holiday saying, "Rhythm captivates me, hot rhythm stimulates me." from her swing track "Swing! Brother, Swing!" recorded in 1939. By the way, Bonobo released a new album in 2010 called Black Sands. It's gotten some great reviews so if you like it support the man with some rupees.

No comments:

Post a Comment