Sunday, January 16, 2011

Quetzal - Fig Pulp


Quetzal is an ill man. This is off his 2009 album titled Vision. I cannot identify that guitar sample he is using here though I've heard the track 1000 times. It's a track that I have heard while being put under at the dentist or something so now it's all hazy. It is kind of driving me crazy at the moment and I tend to dream about samples I can't figure out so I'll probably sit up in the middle of the night and scream out whatever song he is sampling here eventually. Regardless it's a sick beat from an ill man. 


1/29/11 Update: A friend just pointed out to me that the rhythm is from "I'll be around" by the Spinners. Thanks NLK.


4/7/11 Update: A strange internet shaman just pointed out that the sample Quetzal is using here is actually Johnny Osbourne - We Need Love .

1/18/12 Update: Ok, so it took me over a year but someone on youtube finally pointed out that this track by Quetzal is most definitely sampled from Otis Gayle's version of the Spinner's I'll Be Around. I'll Be Around by The Spinners was done first and then I think Otis Gayle's reggae version and finally Johnny Osbourne's We Need Love used Gayle's beat. Whoa, I finally got to the bottom of this beat's origin. I love you internets.

Oh and if you still haven't had enough here is Rappin 4 Tay's hip hop version of this great song: I'll Be Around.

No comments:

Post a Comment