Monday, January 31, 2011

Saul Williams - Black Stacey


Saul Stacey Williams takes hip hop/MC/spoken word abilities to levels they have never been taken to before. He is to Hip Hop what one of the X-Men is to the Marvel Universe. I would venture to guess he has inspired more talented people to express themselves than most MCs in the game. Sure, he is not the most well known but those who do know him have been touched by him in profound ways. They have also passed his influence on to others who appreciate/need to hear what he has to say. Interpersonal marketing is always way more profound than the average marketing machine. The quantity is vastly different but so is the quality of the effect. Dig? Familiarize yourself with the man and his work and you will know what I mean. He is a profound soul pushing mad change right under our noses, it's just underground so most of us can't see it and don't care to dig. Here is a list to familiarize yourself with Saul's work:





One of my favorite "tracks" ever, I got chills the first time I heard this: Twice The First Time


A clip from the brilliant movie he starred in. Check the full length out if you've never seen it: Slam


And finally a quick interview he did in a record store. I really, really like what he says about Alan Lomax & Cultural Anthropology. I completely resonate with that. Early American Folk and The Library Of Congress recordings have increased my appreciation for music to the nth degree. I am obsessed with early American folk and am excited to start writing about it along with information about Alan Lomax, Harry Smith, ect. on this blog. Soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment